Once you fall you'd go to heaven.


“I'm a steeplejack. My last work was at the Tokyo Sky Tree - its highest observation deck.
It really is scary. In a place that’s 30 to 40 meters high, we have to build from scratch with barely anything on ourselves. It’s exciting at the same time though. Falling down means the end. Sailors say "Only a plank between one and death", while for steeplejacks, once you fall you'd go to heaven."

- What makes you carry on?

"Well, its scale. I'm not attracted to trifle works down here. What you see up high is different. You on the ground would look as small as dust. Better to say "thrilling" than simply "exciting". There's also a pride in doing an inordinary job.
We use a safety belt, but it's a mere consolation. When one trips and falls out, the weight triples. I'm 68kg so if I fall I'd be over 200kg. When such heavy being hits the ground, it'd crush in a moment. That's the thrill. You won't even feel pain. Most people suffocate during the fall anyway.
For example, I'm from Okayama prefecture and once I worked at the Great Seto Bridge. 10 people fell off from 60m height at the same time. Only the master survived."

(5/24/2014 中目黒 Nakameguro)

No comments:

Post a Comment